Imagining a sustainable ocean economy
The Economist Group’s World Ocean Initiative imagines an ocean in robust health, and with a vital economy. Year-round and at our flagship World Ocean Summit, we foster a global conversation on the greatest challenges facing the seas, inspiring bold thinking, new partnerships and the most effective action to build a sustainable ocean economy.
The Initiative concentrates on three cross-cutting levers of change — finance, governance and innovation — each of which concern the ‘what’ and the ‘why’ for a sustainable ocean, but most of all they explore the ‘how’.
More than 150 speakers:
- Ricardo Serrão Santos (Minister of maritime affairs, Portugal)
- HSH Prince Albert II (Sovereign prince of Monaco)
- Erna Solberg (Prime minister, Norway)
- Peter Thomson (Special envoy to the ocean, UN)
- Ted Danson (Actor, advocate and board member, Oceana)
- Fabien Cousteau (Aquanaut, oceanographic explorer, and founder, The Fabien Cousteau Ocean Learning Centre)
- Kitack Lim (Secretary-general, International Maritime Organisation)